Small business-changing a company type

During the life of your company, the activities or nature of what you are doing may change so much that the existing company type no longer suits your needs. If this is the case, you may decide to change your company type. 

This is a serious step, so we recommend you seek legal advice before making such a change.

Under the Corporations Act, only certain types of conversions are allowed, including changing a proprietary company limited by shares to:

  • an unlimited proprietary company

  • an unlimited public company

  • a public company limited by shares

In order to change your company type, you must first pass a special resolution and then lodge a Form 205 Notification of resolution and a  Form 206 Application for change of company type with ASIC.

Once this has been done, we will publish a notice in the Commonwealth Gazette stating that we intend to change the company's registration. This change will take effect one month after the notice is published.

More information on this topic

Knowing your legal requirements - companies

Knowing your legal requirements - business names

What books and records should my company keep?

Directors and financial reporting

Companies that must lodge financial reports with ASIC

Keeping your company details up to date

Changing a company name

Ensuring your company is solvent

Annual statements and late fees

How to lodge documents and avoid late fees

Waiving a late lodgement fee

Illegal phoenix activity

Your obligation as a company director

More information on the ASIC website

For a list of the types of conversions that are permitted under the Corporations Act and further information regarding changes to company types, see Information Sheet 18 Changing company type.

More about small business

Small business home

Starting a small business

Compliance for small business

Closing a small business


Last updated: 04/11/2013 12:00