Steps to register your business name
You can register a business name online through ASIC Connect.
- How to register a business name
- Video tutorials
- What to do if you have not received your record of registration or invoice
To register your business name:
- Go to ASIC Connect and log in to your account.
If you don't have an ASIC Connect account, find out the steps to register.
If you're logging in for the first time, make sure you say 'No', you don’t have a current business. You don't need an ASIC key to register.
- Select the Licences and Registrations tab at the top of the ASIC Connect page.
- Select you would like to register a business name from the drop-down box.
- Read the information and tick the boxes. Select 'Get started'.
- You must have an Australian Business Number (ABN) or have applied for an ABN to register a business name. Select the relevant ABN option, enter your ABN, and select 'Next'. You must enter your ABN without any spaces.
- Enter the proposed business name exactly as you would like it to appear on our register. Business names are case sensitive.
- Select the registration period.
- Enter the proposed business name holder details.
- Enter the addresses of the proposed business name.
- Confirm the eligibility to hold the proposed business name.
- Review your application. Make sure your business name is spelt correctly.
- Complete your declarations.
- Make your payment.
If you don't pay within 10 days, your application will be cancelled and you will need to reapply.
Ready to register?
You can watch our video tutorial to learn more about registering a business name for the first time using ASIC Connect.
Once your business name is registered, you will receive a record of registration.
If you choose to pay for your business name registration via invoice, we will email it to you within 48 hours. You must pay within 10 business days.