Restore your business name
If your business name has been cancelled within the past six months because you didn't renew it in time, you can ask ASIC to restore it so you can use your business name again.
You can't restore a business name where:
- the holder applied to cancel the business name
- the business name is held by a deregistered company, or
- the holder is disqualified from holding a business name.
The information you need to provide
If you're the business name holder
If you're the business name holder or an authorised lodger and you wish to restore the business name, we'll need:
- the business name
- the business name holder name and ABN
- email address, and
- telephone number (include area code)
Send us an online enquiry with the above information and state that you want to restore your business name.
If you're not the business name holder
If you're not the business name holder or an authorised lodger, you will need to send us an online enquiry and provide a written copy of your authorisation, stating:
- the business name and that you wish to restore it
- that the business name holder has authorised you to act on their behalf, and
- the email address where the restoration details should be sent.
The authorisation must also be signed by the business name holder.
If the business name has been cancelled for longer than six months
If your business name has been cancelled for longer than six months, you cannot restore it.
If you still want the name and it's available, you can register the business name.